Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

Over the last 72 hours, several Dwellers have written about what is happening in this New Year.

Here is Katie’s take who is serving in Atlanta.

"Empty. That is how this new year has begun. So many aspects of my life are currently empty. The gas tank in my car (or rather, the car my parents have been lending me for the past 5 years) is just a few miles from being completely empty. My bank account is a few cents (.97) from being empty. My Marta card has but a couple days left before it will be empty. The pantry shelves that usually hold my food are nearly empty.

Full and overflowing. That is also how this new year has begun. So many aspects of my life are currently full. I am full of excitement about the work I'm doing at the outreach center. My social calendar has been filled with friends visiting me and me visiting friends over the recent holidays. The Y fills me with energy and endorphines from exercising. My housemates, neighbors, and acquaintances are full of thought-provoking questions that are helping me discern more about my life and my relationship with God and with others. Not to mention, my stomach is full of nutritious food, my dresser drawers are full of comfortable clothes, and my house is full of warm air and warm people."
To read the rest of the post, click here.

Some words from Lauren who is serving in San Antonio:

"every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end"
For those of you who are not familiar with the Band Semisonic, the title is a quote from their song “Closing time.” Not my favorite band but it does remind me of my younger years and my transistion in San Antonio."

To read the rest of the post, click here.

Also, an account from Connie who is serving in South Africa in Radical Journey, a partner program of DOOR.

"Our holiday started at 10 PM on Thursday the 31st, at church. BCI has a “praying in the new year” service every year, and let me tell you…it was awesome. I think it was my favorite church service ever. We had wonderful praise and worship and got to see lots of “items” - things like songs, poetry, and dance. And after the service, just after midnight, we put off fireworks in the church yard."

To read the rest of the post, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment