Monday, March 15, 2010

On the Other Side of Oscar


I heard that The Hurt Locker won the Oscars. I haven’t taken the time to read the whole list of winners but I may soon.

I know that a DOOR group arrived to experience Hollywood on Sunday night, and not the Hollywood of Oscars.

Contrasts make up cities, and in my travels around the DOOR network, I am always surprised about how deep those contrasts can go – racial, class differences, political learning, dog walkers or cat lovers, fast food or 5 stars, and single or families. All these contrasts are alive and well in the city.

Yet, knowing all that, didn’t make me any less moved by the contrast of being 5 or so blocks from the Oscars and orienting a group to serve and learn for the next week. I am not sure words can describe that kind of contrast.

I am glad I was where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment